Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Letter from the Editor, November 2009


November 17, 2009

Welcome to The Urban Gardener Seattle. My idea for this blog is to present a wide range of articles about the urban garden, the urban gardener and the urban garden lover. I'll cover the seasons, plants and lifestyle of the garden. I hope you enjoy the articles and information presented here each month.

The first article of this blog will focus on food. As a citizen of the city, the urban gardener has at their fingertips a wide variety of sources for their food. My favorite source for fresh food is, of course, my own garden. I can sometimes be a bit insane about my vegetable garden. I have more than once caught myself wandering through the house in the summer muttering something cryptic about how,"The harvest waits for no man," but this time of year, most of us have the bulk of our vegetables harvested. Hopefully, at least a few bits of the harvest found their way into jars and are safely preserved and put away in the pantry for winter, but if you're anything like me, there isn't nearly enough put away to keep you in vegeies for the entire, long cold winter. So, as the last few fresh jalapenos and potatoes disappear from my kitchen, this month I advocate for the farmer's market.
I also present a colorful alternative to your grandma's old variety of heather with this month's plant of the month - 'Firefly' heather.

No comments:

Post a Comment